Thursday, August 30, 2007

What do teenagers find challenging???

Welcome to the Stippled Librarian! The title refers my job which tends to be a little bit of just about most jobs in the public library.

Today is Friday and we are all looking forward to the weekend after a very hectic week.

I had an interesting enquiry at the information desk in the library yesterday. I would be interested to know what you would have suggested. The enquiry floored me for a bit!

The young female teenager of about 14 or 15 asked me what could she read that was "challenging". I tried to draw out her interests, other books she had read etc in the classic reference interview but she wouldn't play ball! She insisted that she just wanted something "challenging". I decided that perhaps a mystery would be challenging and took her to a shelf of adult mystery genre fiction.

Bingo!! I couldn't believe it when she was very satisfied with that and proceded to borrow several books.

Ah the joys of reference work in a public library!

No comments: